Jibstay

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Where Do You Park?


At a hotel in town, I watched a staff member walking from the staff parking lot to the hotel. It was the farthest lot from the hotel. The best spots; close and up front were reserved for guest. The staff parked at a distance. At a doctor's office this week, the exact opposite happened; the close and covered spots were signed for "Doctors Only" and patients parked farther away or on the street. The two businesses sent clear messages about who is important.
What about the church? Where do pastors, staff and leaders park and where do guest, or more importantly, late-comers park? In both Muskegon and New Brighton I had the pastor's parking signs pulled out. I tried to encourage staff and leaders to park at the back of the lot and walk, leaving the best spots up front for visitors and elderly. This idea was not always met with joy. People like finding great spots; convenient and close up.
Do our parking habits reflect spirituality or servanthood? Where do you park? Where will you park tomorrow?

1 Comments:

At 2:27 PM , Blogger kent said...

I always park as far away as I can. I also believe in the cane and able run of parking. Those who are able park out a ways, those who use cane can come in close. I do not need want or a parking spot. If my status is guaged by my aprking spot, game over, I've lost.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker