Jibstay

Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years later


It was a staff meeting day, preschoolers were coming in with their parents under my window to the downstairs area where Salem offered classes. I was getting the agenda ready, having finished my devotions and was now deep into the nitty gritty of church administration while a major building renovation was going on. I was very busy and very important, senior pastor of a larger and growing church.
But that day it all stopped, as a parent I knew told me to turn on a TV because of the attacks in New York. All building ceased as the workmen and the church staff gathered in stunned silence as the horrors unfolded before us. We called for a 7pm service of prayer and I asked our senior pastors, Wally Pratt and Glenn Wiberg, to offer words of reflection as I led in prayer and we sang songs of lament.
Now, 8 years later, what's changed? What's the lingering impact on me and on you? How does 8 years later make a difference in the life of the church?

1 Comments:

At 7:17 PM , Blogger Kalon L said...

Obviously a whole lot has changed. I think we are considerably less optimistic and feeling more vulnerable.

The challenge for me since 9/11 has been to try and understand the radical Muslim mind. And I'm not doing very well at this. If we only condemn terrorism without at least trying to understand motivations, our ability to find common ground is probably futile.

But try as I may (and reading "The Looming Tower" by Lawrence Wright was a start), the gap remains way too wide for me to have anything more than a superficial empathy. I am left feeling hopeless.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker