Jibstay

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Travel or Pilgrimage?

Everyone I knows travels. Some travel hundreds of thousands of miles a year. Others regularly cross the coast to see family and friends, to escape weather and to see new sights. Tomorrow I begin traveling with Martha and 11 others from Santa Barbara, meeting up with a couple from Muskegon Michigan days and then connecting with Luke in Paris, where we make our final flight to Athens.
There are the logistics and the discomforts of tight seats, long lines and uncertain connections. Some of us sleep adequately on planes and others of us don't. We all have our little secrets to help make travel more fun: good books, journals, ipods, magazines, even the laptop. I have synced my ipod and iphone. I'm carefully arranging my shoulder bag with reading material and doing the last-minute juggling of clothes and toiletries.
But the purpose of this trip is spiritual; to follow the journeys of the Apostle Paul, to get biblical dust on our shoes and see the landscapes he saw. How do I get ready for that? How do I quiet my heart among all the many things that distract me to model pastoral leadership among friends?
My good friend Bill Wright prayed at church last week around the words of Psalm 118:24 "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." This is the day before the trip that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. May I rejoice in every day of the next 10, for the Lord has made them all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker