Jibstay

Friday, October 16, 2009

Bus Captain or Pastor?


I wore this badge for 10 days on our trip to Greece. The company, Educational Opportunities, who organized the details of the trip asked all passengers, and especially me, to wear this tag at all times. For me it meant that I was the go-to person for the group. If there was a problem with the hotel or luggage or schedule, I represented the 15 other travelers and was authorized to speak for them. If any traveler had a concern about the trip, they were to approach me first and we would figure out what to do.
All in all, it's a pretty cool and fun role. For those of you who know me, it was a continual challenge to manage data and lists, numbers and times, but we made all our stops and ate all our meals.
But it was a great relief to take off the badge in Los Angeles at the end of the trip and return to being Don, pastor of Montecito Covenant. But then I began to wonder and reflect; where am I more behaving like bus captain and where am I more a pastor? What's the difference? Are they interchangeable roles? Does one role enhance the other or detract from the other? One simple observation is that as pastor I am most productive listening, reading, reflecting and writing. As bus captain I am most productive moving, deciding, and managing.
I think I'll keep the badge around for a while to remind me.

1 Comments:

At 5:00 AM , Blogger ed said...

I am sure you wore it proudly! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker