Jibstay

Monday, December 14, 2009

Strength Building

Seth Godin has a new ebook filled with pithy quotes from an assembly of wise friends. Below is one that caught my attention:

Forget about working on your weaknesses —> Focus on
supporting your strengths.
I worked on my weaknesses for 40 years to little avail.
Still “needs improvement,” as they say. Why? Easy. We
hate doing things we’re not good at, so we avoid them.
No practice makes perfect hard to attain.
But my strengths – ah, I love my strengths. I’ll work on
them till the purple cows come home. When we love
what we do, we do more and more, and pretty soon
we’re pretty good at it.
The beautiful thing about being on a team is that,
believe it or not, lots of people love doing the things
you hate. And hate doing the things you love. So quit
diligently developing your weaknesses. Instead, partner
with someone very UNlike you, share the work and
share the wealth and everyone’s happy.
Relatedly, women are rather UNlike men and often
approach problems and opportunities with a different
outlook. Yet books and coaches oen encourage us to
adopt male strengths and, lacking understanding, to
relinquish our own. The irony is, studies show that
more women in leadership translates unequivocally into
better business results.
Wouldn’t it make more sense for both men and women
to appreciate each other’s strengths so we all work on
what comes naturally?
Marti Barletta, speaker, consultant and author of Marketing to
Women and PrimeTime Women; is currently working on her
next book, Attracting Women: Marketing Your Company to the
21st Century’s Best Candidates

I preached about old Simeon in the Temple, how he did a couple things really well. He stayed in his strengths. Yet I too often am aware of weaknesses around me and get distracted to go where I'm not strong and spend disproportional energy there, neglecting the "sweet spots" that fuel good ministry.
How do others of you out there in ministry stay in the sweet spots when other areas of church life beckon for your presence and leadership?

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM , Blogger drgtjustwondering said...

You KNOW I love this quote - I'm with Seth, 100%.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker