Jibstay

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

On Life

Martha texted me today a message that stopped me in my tracks. It was a copy to our daughter Liz and it said "Happy being alive-day!" That's our code for January 5th every year. Fourteen years ago Liz underwent radical surgery for cancer and has vibrantly survived. God was gracious to us all and now that event has no longer dominated our lives like it once did. Liz is far more than a survivor of cancer. Cancer no longer defines her, but now she is defined by her musicianship, her marriage, her faith, her dancing and all the other things that surround adults.
And so on this January 5th, I was deep into the complexity of church budget discussions in an on-going economic slump, Bible study preparations on Obadiah for tonight, a staff meeting in an hour-and-a-half, several staff proposals that need to be discussed through, an Executive Committee meeting to discuss the 2010 budget and then the many guest coming into our lives in the next days for Luke & Kelly's wedding. The list of things that need to get done yesterday gets longer by the minute. I can find myself sighing in self-sympathy for all that has to get done. I can complain about the interruptions and dislocated devotional time (even though I got to the office extra-early). Basically, I allow myself to get caught up in myself and then I got the text "Happy being alive-day!" and everything gets clarified. All my stresses are gifts and privileges of being alive. They are problems of abundance and excess.
Thank you Lord for the gift of being alive!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker