Jibstay

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pastoral Road-Kill

I heard a disturbing new word today: pastoral road-kill. A friend told me that he felt like road-kill as a pastor, not only dead and on the side of the road where all the traffic buzzed by, but almost unrecognizable anymore.
One of the primary functions of the Midwinter Conference is for pastors to care for other pastors they know (or are coming to know). It's an exciting place to be when things in your church are going well and you have stories to tell of the ways God is blessing. It's another thing altogether when you are wounded, exhausted, feeling defeated and incredibly lonely. I see it now as I write these words, little huddles of pastors talking together, chairs close together, bodies leaning in to hear painful words, hands on shoulders offering prayer for each other. Denying the label of road-kill and affirming the word: called servant of God.

2 Comments:

At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I am the one who gave you that image, and my 4 days at Midwinter were more encouraging and affirming than I dared dream when I came. Many people played the role of tools in God's hands to build me up, and you were one. THANK YOU

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

That's really good to know!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker