Jibstay

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Stumbling into mystery

It was an ordinary Confirmation class. This is a great group of kids and one parent. Martha and I are enjoying teaching the class together as we go through the Covenant material tracing the life of Jesus.
Last night we examined Pentecost and the indwelling gift of the Holy Spirit, which prompted the discussion of the age-old diagram of the Trinity. You know the one that says Jesus, Holy Spirit and Father are all God, but that Jesus, Holy Spirit, Father are not each other. As these 7th and 8th graders looked at the diagram, their faces screwed up into tight knots of intensity. "How exactly does that work?" one asked. In spite of 30 years of teaching confirmation and being a pastor, my words smacked right into this mystery again. I confessed that I did not know all the how's and why's of Trinity, but experience and bear witness to it.
They left somewhat satisfied, while I am still rubbing my head in wonder at this sustaining mystery! Thank you God for 7th & 8th graders!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker