Jibstay

Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Freedom" by Franzen

It is touted as the "must-read" book for our times. I heard a fascinating interview on NPR, saw images on the cover of "Time" magazine and went out and purchased the book. It's set in my old neighborhood of St. Paul along Summit Ave. I know the houses, the feel, the neighbors. This is "my" story of Boomer adulthood in the liberal Twin Cities of articulate niceness that must adjust to the harsh realities of 2010. I was looking for the new "Great Gatsby" for our times and found drivel, page after page of drivel.
The characters start out interesting but have no depth, no soul, nothing compelling about them. They are beyond ordinary, they are boring. The language has some bursts of creativity but then come the long deserts of banality. These are empty people who need something compelling from their souls that have been too long neglected. For the first time in a long time I was eager to finish the book so I could give it away.

1 Comments:

At 11:17 PM , OpenID achorusofehoes said...

Whoa...I read about the all the hype as well and thought I should take it up and read. But I'm having second thoughts after reading your review. Now I might have to hold on a little bit more until I get to read some bits before buying the book. Thanks for the heads up about this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker