Jibstay

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Gospel of One

I hate losing things. I have my morning routine of gathering my glasses, watch, wallet and money-clip, keys, cell phone and computer before heading to church. Once in a while I get to church missing one of those items. If it is the keys, I can't get in. If it's my cell phone, I can't make or receive calls. I know what I need and I know what belongs to me. If one of those items are missing, I have to find them and am frustrated until I get the lost item.
The text for Sunday is Luke 15:1-10, the parable of the lost sheep and lost coin. Both the shepherd and the woman knew what was missing and diligently searched until they found what was theirs and what was lost. And the parable is not about stuff, but about people who belong to God and are currently lost, missing, gone.
Who do you know who's not there any more? Who did you worship with in the past who no longer attends...anywhere? Who will go find him/her if not you?

2 Comments:

At 10:43 PM , Blogger Brad Boydston said...

I'd suggest that the parables are about what happens when the lost are found. The punchlines in all three of the "found" parables are about the great joy and celebration.

Of course, it's hard to get excited about someone who is found if you don't really care about them being lost in the fist place. The parables seem to be aimed at the indifference of the religious.

That's how I'm planing to preach it.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Go for it Brad....the celebration of found-ones! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker