Jibstay

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Christ the King

Last words are fascinating. Ludwig van Beethoven was quoted saying, “Friends applaud, the comedy is finished” in 1827 as he died. Johannes Brahms was reported to say, “Ah, that tastes nice. Thank you” as he died in 1897. And Winston Churchill said, “I’m bored with it all” as he slipped into a coma and died 9 days later in 1965.

I measure my last words in a conversation carefully. I want the listener, whether on the phone or in person, to leave with a full understanding of the nature and depth of our relationship. I don’t think I’d ever end a conversation with “Whatever!” and then hang up. Martha and I enjoy a local newscaster who ends every newscast the same way with “Be safe!”

Sunday will be an examination of two of Jesus’ last words from the cross in Luke 23:32-43. We are ending this challenging series exploring the question What does Jesus say about……? As you prepare for worship on Sunday, reflect on the way you end a conversation. How have conversations ended well or poorly for you? How important are last words for your heart to hear?

1 Comments:

At 6:35 AM , Blogger PAD said...

But of course Jesus' last words from the Cross were not his last words.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker