Jibstay

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Nick Wieman....thanks for letting me use your Bible!

That's the Bible I've been using for 15 years, since 1995 (maybe earlier). I was told to order a Bible for Nick Wieman who was planning on attending Confirmation at Salem Covenant Church. Nick never showed up and my Bible was pretty beaten up, so I have been working out of Nick's Bible for 15 years. It's taped, marked, and well-used. I have it all marked for every verse on money, sacred space and all the questions of God. I've outlined chapters, and highlighted verses that have touched my life. I physically engage the Bible I use. I wear it out.

But recently I have noticed that I'm reading my markings and observations more than the text. It's kind of like telling jokes with just the punch line, knowing the body of the joke can be filled in. Due to the influence of David Platt and Barbara Brown Taylor, I am convinced I need to pay attention to the Bible better by starting with a fresh one (another unclaimed Confirmation Bible). I need to read straight through again this year so I can pay better attention to what God is up to in my life and the life of this congregation.

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM , Blogger donnjohnson said...

Just received this news from a good friend in Minnesota about Nick:

Wiemann Nicholas L., age 23, of Arden Hills, passed away Sept. 4, 2002. Preceded in death by grandparents, Louis & Ruth Wiemann. He will be deeply missed by parents

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker