Jibstay

Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Reading List 2010

Reading is hobby for me. I guess my dad taught me that. He had an epiphany when he realized he no longer "had" to fish on vacation to prove to his friends he was relaxing. When he would come back from vacation in Northern Michigan, his friends would ask him how many fish he caught, so he felt obliged to go fishing, catch fish, and tell his friends. The only problem was he didn't really like fishing. He wasn't opposed to it. But the best way he relaxed was in a quiet spot with a thermos of coffee and books. he always travelled with books and read voraciously in the morning. As kids we learned that Dad was "never available" in the morning. And as he had more free time, he read throughout his days and into the night.
I now have that virus. I love reading books, magazines, newspaper, blogs, facebook links, etc. Words from others inspire me to rethink my world. In addition to reading the Bible again from Genesis to Revelation, I'm always on the lookout for other authors. This has been a great year of inspiring books for me. So I thought I'd share the list of the best ones with you:

1. “Missional Renaissance; changing the scorecard for the Church” Reggie McNeal, Jossey-Bass, 2009

2. “The Hole in the Gospel: the answer that changed my life and might just change the world” Richard Stearns (president of World Vision U.S) Thomas Nelson, 2009

3. “Missional Map-Making: skills for leading in times of transition” Alan J. Roxburgh, Jossey-Bass, 2010

4. “Radical: taking back your faith from the American Dream” David Platt, Multnomah, 2010

5. “The Happiness Advantage: seven principles of positive psychology that fuel success and performance at work” Shawn Achor, Crown Business, 2010

6. “A Failure of Nerve: leadership in the age of the quick fix” Edwin H. Friedman, Seabury Books, 2007

7. “A Door Set Open: grounding change in mission and hope” Petere L. Steinke, The Alban Institute, 2010

8. “Linchpin: are you indispensable?” Seth Godin, Penguin, 2010

9. “The Search for God and Guinness: a biography of the beer that changed the world” Stephen Mansfield, Thomas Nelson, 2009

10. “The Church of Facebook: how the hyperconnected are redefining the church” Jesse Rice, David C. Cook, 2009

11. “In Search of Sacred Places: looking for wisdom on Celtic holy islands” Daniel Taylor, Bog Walk Press, 2005

12. “A Christian Theology of Place” John Inge, Ashgate, 2003

13. “On Pilgrimage: a time to seek” Jennifer Lash, Bloomsbury, 1991

14. “An Altar in the World: a geography of faith” Barbara Brown Taylor, Harper One, 2009

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker