Jibstay

Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Never Enough

I just talked to a colleague today. He was emerging out of a long meeting with others in his field. When I asked him how it went, he said with a sigh "No matter what I do, it's never enough." No matter how many tasks he accomplished or good ideas he generated, at the end of the meeting the others wanted still more.
That made me reflect on the way I lead the church. Is that the signal they routinely hear from me? When is giving enough? When is serving enough? In my desire to see people become fully devoted followers of Jesus, I can sometimes (maybe always) send the signal that what you are doing is fine, but there is far more to do and it's just not enough. Can that attitude create spiritual exhaustion?
Where does generosity, gratitude, joy and grace season the signals we send to church members, volunteers, and staff? Where is our own self-worth infused with that same spirit of grace and joy? Where can I reward someone with a Thanks and not just another list?

3 Comments:

At 11:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great questions Don - not just for church either.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger drgtjustwondering said...

I say amen to every question, Don. They are each one (and all together) worthy of a good wrestle and thoughtful conversation. That feeling of not DOING enough can too easily morph into an even deadlier one - not BEING enough - surely one of the most powerful of our enemy's weapons. Thanks for these words.

 
At 9:48 PM , Blogger Traveller said...

Wow, yes! I'm one who is always thinking about, pursuing and working toward "growth". That can be good, but it does create that "never good enough" feeling...in others, in me. And if that's the case, then it is definitely missing something...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker