Jibstay

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Teaching to Pray


I teach couples how to get married. I've officiated at over 300 weddings in my years as a pastor. I know what works and what doesn't. And if a couple trust me, we can, together, make a really wedding ceremony.
But sometimes I run into couples who know it all, know exactly what they want, change their minds several times, keep re-tweaking the ceremony on the rehearsal night and into the wedding, and make the entire event stressful. The common denominator among those couples is an unwillingness to be taught and to trust.
In Matthew 6; 5-15 the disciples ask Jesus to teach them to pray. I don't know about you, but I know how I like to pray and I've become pretty accustomed to praying in a Don Johnson way. Yet they saw something in Jesus' prayer behavior that they knew was better, richer and deeper than theirs, so they asked him to teach them. I wonder if I'd ask the same question? I hope so. Teach me........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker