Jibstay

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Matthew 16:13-20, some thoughts

I preached from Matthew 16:13-20 today and discovered something new (for me) from the text: the "rockness" of Peter might be due less to him as a person than to the clarity of his confession of "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God" which was his answer for all his fellow disciples since Jesus asked the question in the plural form of "you".
It's interesting how a sermon I work on, study, prepare and preach twice, then rumbles through me afterwards like aftershocks. The aftershock is "confessional clarity" (I know I stole that word from someone but can't recall from whom). Is my life confessionally clear? Do others know who Jesus is for me by the way I live, speak and invest my energy? Do those closest to me (Martha, family and co-workers) have a sense of my confessional clarity or does it happen mostly on Sundays, up front? This is not an exercise in self-flagellation but rather God's invitation to me to "be clear" and he will take care of the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker