Jibstay

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Who told you that you were naked?



In the recent movie “The Help”, one of the maids is charged with the care and feeding of a chubby little girl. The girl’s mother has issues with her overweight daughter and constantly belittles her. The maid wakes her in the morning, and puts her to bed and night by holding her close and saying three wonderful words that I think are: You is kind, You is smart. You is important. That tender scene reinforced to me the power of an inner narrative.

Not all of us have a positive inner narrative. Some of us have battled a lifetime of negative narrative: “not good enough, not pretty enough, not smart enough, not ________ enough”. When I first dug into the text for Sunday from Genesis 3:11 “Who told you that you were naked?” I was amazed at all the old voices I heard from my childhood, and not all were good. Teasing phrases friends used on me still sting. Behavior by bullies still makes me wince.

Part of getting ready for worship on Sunday would be for you to spend some time reflecting on both the positive and negative voices that shaped you. What voices still speak? How do Jesus’ words about you silence some of the old noises?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker