Jibstay

Friday, October 14, 2011

Do You Want to be Made Well?

I have this bad habit of stereotyping people. When we are driving and someone takes too long on an entrance ramp, driving right to the end of the ramp, I can assume the driver’s gender…and then find out I’m wrong! I can make assumptions about a person covered with tattoos and piercings. I make assumptions about fat guys with beards riding Harley Davidson motorcycles. I make assumptions about folks pushing grocery carts down Milpas Ave. I can make an assumption about cars people drive and houses they live in. The list of my assumptions (as I write this) is scary. I am so prone to put people into boxes of my own making.

Guess what? Jesus does not make assumptions like I do (or maybe you do). If an assumption could be made about someone, it would be about the person in the text for Sunday: the man sitting by the pool of Bethesda in John 5:6. He had been there for 38 years with no success! What does that tell you about him? But Jesus comes to him with one question: “Do you wish to be made well?”

As you prepare for worship this coming Sunday, review some of your assumptions about people, about what to expect in worship, and about your own life. Then allow Jesus’ question to speak to your assumptions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker