Jibstay

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pastoral Job Description: Bearer of Hope

The news remains bleak and bleaker. The economy is not showing signs of improving. More houses have yet to be foreclosed on, dripping home values and consumer confidence. Unemployment numbers are not improving. Certainty, confidence, enthusiasm, optimism are taking a beating by so many realities on the ground. I have never been surrounded by so much unrelenting bleak news.
So what's a pastor to do? We cannot disregard the news, the economy, the environment or politics. These are the contexts in which we and our congregations live. But we cannot be driven by them either. We need to dig deeper into Scripture, prayer and devotional disciplines to be the bearers of hope to a weary and exhausted people. We do not need to echo the weary refrains of the news. We all know how bad it is "out there." The question is: where is the good news? Where is the hope? Where can I find joy and deep peace? Answer? Jesus.

1 Comments:

At 4:28 PM , Blogger Isaac Johnson said...

We brought up Paul's response during our weekly bible study at work:

For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If it is to be life in the flesh, that means fruitful
labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My
desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more
necessary on your account” (Phil 1:21-23).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker