Jibstay

Friday, November 11, 2011

Do you do this full time?

Just when I think I've heard it all, I'm surprised. Hospital calls are something I love to do. It's an occasion to bring grace quickly via a Psalm or prayer to people who are vulnerable (especially church members in medical need). So I have a routine established now that I call first and ask if I can come and visit. Then we set a rough time. I prayerfully read Psalms (usually) prior to the visit that would "fit" the person I'm visiting. I check in at the desk asking for permission and direction to the room. I try to stay just a few minutes, sitting down and becoming relaxed and quiet with them and their family members.
Today I did that. But a nurse was present the whole time, taking vitals and attaching wires. I brought a prayer shawl MCC knitters make for just such a purpose. The nurse was impressed and asked about it. Then she asked what I did. I told her I was the pastor and where we are located. Then she asked, "Are you the kind of priest that can get married?" I knew right then that this woman was not a regular church-goer so I explained a little about who we are and what I do. Then came the kicker: "Do you do this full time or do you have a job?"
Hmmm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker