Saturday, August 27, 2011
When God Asks the Questions
Friday, August 26, 2011
Scared All the Time?
I was cruising channels last evening and came across CNN. The meteorologist had a graphic behind him of a totally flooded New York City. This graphic could twist and turn, zoom in or zoom away. Not a drop of rain has fallen yet and Hurricane Irene could be a very serious storm for New York City......but flooded now?
Minnesota State Fair...food on a stick
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Leadership like a Grandpa
Monday, August 22, 2011
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Saturday, August 20, 2011
400 M-4 backpacks!
The economy is bad, the weather is overcast, summer is winding down, the Kardashian wedding circus is in town, and we did not promote it real strongly. Yet at about 10 am today over 100 people from the M-4 churches showed up to fill 400 back packs for underprivileged kids who are residents with their families in "People's Self Help Housing" homes from Carpinteria to Isla Vista. The mood and energy was over-the-top. The age range went from little children to senior citizens. All four church staff were represented, greeting and blessing members. After each back pack was filled, the volunteer went out to a table and, on M-4 note cards, wrote individual blessings to the recipients of the back packs. Talk about fun!
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Extravagent floral architecture!
Martha is in Minnesota with Liz & Jeff and I've been assigned watering duties. It's something Martha always does with care and detail when she's home. She knows and has planted every plant and can tell me how well or poorly it is doing.
I, on the other hand, know very little about the plants, their names, attributes, needs of uses. I often walk by plants going somewhere else (usually to a person, book or magazine). I engage words and people more than plants...until I must water them....slowly....and look at them...slowly.
Yikes! This yellow "flower" was crazy nuts! It sits on top of this plant like a an overdone art project. The colors pop and buzz. I'm sure there is a logical reason for why it is shaped like it is. But today I stood there in wonder and the extravagance of beauty! It did not need an audience to appreciate it. It just bloomed there in the column of sunlight!
Saturday, August 06, 2011
Thursday, August 04, 2011
1. 8 year old boys are always running
2. There is never enough lemonade
3. 8 year old boys are always running into other 8 year old boys
4. Craft time crosses can turn into excellent swords
5. Music that can be jumped to is preferred at all times
6. 5 year olds know how to look in awe
7. All adults are your friends
8. Water games have only one objective
9. Bible memory is much more fun with rap and sunglasses
10. Quiet times do work….they get the story of Jesus
11. I still can’t clap in time to the music
12. It’s a time when teen helpers and adult leaders really, really get along
13. Pastoral leadership means a lot of smiling, high fives, and not much talking or teaching
14. Kids take their craft time seriously….they are all artists still
15. They care about missions, especially when it involves other children
16. I need an afternoon nap every day