Jibstay

Saturday, February 11, 2012

It's Time....to Come In

It happened after my first car accident. A car bumped into our rear bumper on a family trip. No one was hurt, but the bumper was crumpled. From that moment on, I was keenly aware of how many other cars had dented bumpers. I never saw them before. Now I saw bumper after bumper with dents in them. The same thing happened after I had to wear a temporary cast on my wrist. I saw casts everywhere. I never knew so many people wore casts!

When we moved into the parsonage, I was aware every Friday when the yard crew showed up to mow and trim trees and hedges. I was not used to someone mowing my yard. I took care of my house and did what work I could (grass mowing in the summer, leaf raking in the fall, and snow shoveling in the winter). Now others do it for me, and some weeks I don’t even notice the guys.

Sunday’s text is a powerful story about Jesus noticing someone the rest of society preferred not to see, hear or be close to: a leper. In Mark 1:40-45 a leper approached Jesus inquiring if Jesus might wish to heal him. Jesus not only healed him…he touched him! As you prepare for worship, reflect, meditate, pray for God to open your eyes to those he wants you to start seeing.

Grace & Peace,

Don

1. Consider one of two adult learning opportunities:

a. Chasing Francis by Ian Cron book discussion at 9:00 a.m. in Fellowship Hall

b. Conversations in Luke discussion at 10:30 .m. in the Upper Room

2. Jr. High “619” group meets Sunday night at….6:19 p.m. in the Outback

3. Give, Live, Love campaign to finish the Children’s Playground, send students to CHIC this summer and provide scholarships to other camps has raised $4,000 toward the $15,000 goal. Thank you!

4. A Prayer Retreat based on the “Spiritual Exercises” of St. Ignatius will be held on MCC campus February 25 from 9:00 a.m. till 3:30 p.m. with lunch provided. This will be a day broken up into hour-long periods of directed prayer and reflection. There is no cost for the retreat other than the commitment of your time. All are welcome. R.S.V.P. to donnjohnson@mac.com

5. Ash Wednesday begins the 40 day period in the church called Lent. On Wednesday, February 22, there will be an all-church dinner in the Peterson Life Center at 6:00 p.m. followed by a Service of Ashes at 7:00 p.m.

1 Comments:

At 2:26 PM , Blogger Isaac Johnson said...

it's amazing how we all ignore the homeless.

It was actually a comedian that changed my mind on giving money to the homeless. I now keep a few singles in my car to hand to them at intersections.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=31499

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker