Jibstay

Friday, October 19, 2012

A Day of Significant Contrast

I was invited to two meals today; an early breakfast downtown and a formal lunch at Westmont College. The lunch was honoring Ambassador James Moriarty, Ambassador to both Bangladesh and Nepal. He and his wife have both been ambassadors in Southeast Asia. Their presentation revealed how their values influenced the lives of millions of people from the highest level of government. Educated, urbane, dignified, classy, articulate...wow!They were impressive! It was cool to have the opportunity to shake their hands and thank them for their service.
Breakfast was a different matter. I met "E" in jail last year. He had accepted Christ before I met him, but was an eager participant in every Bible study I taught. He got out of jail this summer while we were in France. One Saturday he walked the two miles up hill from the lower village on the hopes I'd be there (I was). He was living in the Rescue Mission, without a job and a convicted felon (in this jobless economy that's a deep hole). But "E" was wholly devoted to Jesus Christ and whatever God's will was was OK by him. We have met several times since summer for coffee. This morning he wanted to meet for breakfast (which I hate doing because it disrupts my devotional pattern). We met at Cajun Kitchen. He has a great job that he bikes to from the Rescue Mission. He's paying off his court fines, child support, what he owes his parents and one friend. He's not sure he'll ever see his wife and kids again. But there was a radiant joy in him that was unmistakable. He was content knowing that God had full hold of his life and that was enough. When I asked him how I could pray, he asked me to pray that he could be a godly example to is parole officer and to me! Then, after praying, he said "I'm paying this morning! It's time for me to treat you!"
That's kingdom living!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker