Jibstay

Saturday, November 03, 2012

Protecting the Flock

The church campus is closed today from all activities except one: prayer. About 20 adults (some from other churches) have gathered here from 9:00 a.m. till 3:00 p.m. to follow a modified prayer retreat built upon the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius Loyola (1525).
My job is to ring the bell on the hour (some gave up watches and phones) and to hand out the next exercise for the coming hour. I thought I would do my own prayer work during the periods, but I find myself wandering the campus and offering up protective prayers for these ones strewn about the property, reading, praying, writing and reflecting. I fell like a shepherd patrolling the sheep. Jon Lemmond is preparing the noon meal while Marilyn Nelson and Diana Trautwein are available (and being used) for spiritual direction conversations.
It's all so counterintutive. It's not an active program, but one based on stillness and quiet and availability for God to do his own work in these one's lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker