Jibstay

Friday, March 01, 2013

Who Taught You?

I eat differently while in France than home in Santa Barbara. Meals here are served in courses: salad, main, cheese, dessert, coffee at the end. Bread is available all through the meal and, when taken, is broken and place on the table next to the plate and not on the plate itself. The fork stays in the left hand and not transferred back and forth like we do. Meals last longer than 20 minutes....hours in fact. I have learned to not be in a hurry when eating in France. Eating and drinking is not done in cars while traveling (I break this rule regularly with coffee!).
But I've also learned to eat differently in Japan, Congo, Kenya, Egypt and Greece. Each culture has its own patterns for how to eat a meal. Each one has its own logic how to sit, what instruments are used, and what goes together (e.g. bread as a supplementary fork to push food around with).
Cross-cultural travel gives me the privilege of both learning new ways to eat and to examine the ways we eat at home.
One of the aspects of sacred time that I'm exploring and would love your input on is who taught you how to worship? Worship is so central to our life as believers, yet often unexamined about why we do what we do. Often a worship culture gets set and established and proceeds ahead without rationale or explanation other than, that's the way w do it here or I do it this way because I like doing it this way. That's not good enough. Who taught you how to worship the way you do? And, more importantly, how are you continuing to be taught how to worship? I'd love to hear from you!

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM , Blogger diana said...

Every church community in my conscious memory has taught me how to worship. Scripture has taught me how to worship. Friends from different traditions have taught me how to worship. A couple of classes at Fuller taught me how to worship. You taught me how to worship. It comes in by osmosis, exposure, experimentation, reading, singing (a primary means for me), prayer, hearing the read Word. Walking into an ancient cathedral teaches me about worship, too. In the past, I enjoyed large denominational gatherings - not so much any more. Loud, amplified music feels less and less worshipful somehow. Maybe it morphs over time??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker