Jibstay

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Gift of Time

I don't think about my age very often. My busy and active life and pastoral presence to young people and old people make me feel as a contemporary to whomever I am with. I don't ask about people's ages and numbers have never been my strong suit (to say the least!). 
But this weekend has been an incredible gift. Time has been stampeding through my brain. Our son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter are visiting at the same time as my father-in-law (and our middle son visited last week as well). So in the photo above are four generations from age 90 to 1 1/2 years old! 
Yesterday afternoon Isaac was asking my father-in-law John about his grandparents. Now John has a mental clarity that I'll never have. He went back in time and told stories to Isaac about his grandfather's birth in the 1880's and their migration from one city to another in Georgia and Tennessee. We were hanging around in territory just after the Civil War while Elise was scampering on the patio. She could conceivably live till 2113...that's a 233 year potential memory span all in one space. 
The joy and energy is palpable with the innocent wonder of Elise, to the family and career building of Isaac & Anna, to Martha and my love of family, traveling and good meals, to John's full account of past family affairs. This is fun!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker